Abreu's 22 leads New Hampshire past UMBC 62-58Jan 22, 2010 - 3:16 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Alvin Abreu scored 22 points and New Hampshire held off struggling Maryland-Baltimore County in a 62-58 win on Thursday night.
Ferg Myrick had 15 points and Tyrone Conley added 14 for the Wildcats (7-10, 2-4 America East Conference), who ended a two-game losing streak. The Retrievers (1-18, 0-6) lost their ninth game in a row.
New Hampshire took a 52-43 lead with 7:08 left in the second half on a jumper by Myrick, who went 6-for-9 from the floor. UMBC followed with an 8-0 run, capped by a Matt Spadafora layup to cut the margin to one, until Abreu hit a 3-pointer to help the Wildcats pull away.
Chauncey Gilliam led UMBC with 16 points and eight rebounds. Robbie Jackson scored 13 points, Chris De La Rosa had 10 points and Spadafora finished with 10 rebounds.
The Retrievers had converted 24 3-point field goals over the past three games, but were held to 1 of 9 shooting.
- NCAA BB
NEW HAMPSHIRE 62
UMBC 58 FINAL
Jan 21 9:02 PM
- NCAA BB
NEW HAMPSHIRE 30
UMBC 29 HALFTIME
Jan 21 7:50 PM
- New Hampshire rolls over Worcester State 100-66 Dec 8
- Marquette holds off New Hampshire Nov 22
- Golden Eagles seek redemption in clash with visiting Wildcats Nov 21
- UMBC's Monroe resigns Oct 10
- Hoosiers stay hot in rout of UMBC Dec 22
- High-flying Hoosiers entertain hapless Retrievers Dec 22
- Notre Dame steamrolls UMBC Dec 22
- Walker's triple-double guides UConn over UMBC Dec 3
- Walker scores 30 as UConn holds off New Hampshire Nov 30
- Vermont beats New Hampshire 57-38 in America East Mar 7
- New Hampshire beats Maine 68-57, moves on to semis Mar 6
- Vermont routs Maryland-Baltimore County 76-59 Mar 6