Old Dominion shuts down Georgia State 56-40Jan 29, 2010 - 2:39 AM NORFOLK, Va.(AP) -- Gerald Lee scored 16 points and Old Dominion allowed Georgia State only eight points in the final 10 minutes of a 56-40 victory on Thursday night.
The Monarchs (17-5, 9-1 Colonial Athletic Association) held their ninth opponent this season under 50 points in winning their eighth straight game and 19th home game in a row.
The Panthers' point total was their lowest since a 46-38 loss to Utah on Nov. 17, 2003.
Ben Finney added 12 points and nine rebounds for Old Dominion, which outrebounded Georgia State 40-23. Kent Bazemore had a career-high six steals.
The Monarchs led 31-28 at halftime and were up 37-23 with 15:04 left. The Panthers (9-13, 3-7) pulled within 39-32 on a Trae Goldston 3-pointer with 10:11 remaining, but could get no closer.
Goldston, who added two 3s in the last 4:46, and Joe Dukes scored 11 apiece for Georgia State, which made 2 of 3 free throws.
- NCAA BB
GEORGIA ST 40
OLD DOMINION 56 FINAL
Jan 28 8:56 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGIA ST 18
OLD DOMINION 31 HALFTIME
Jan 28 7:52 PM
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- Georgia State's R.J. Hunter to enter NBA Draft Mar 30
- Xavier downs Georgia State, reaches Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Panthers seek another upset in clash with Musketeers Mar 21
- Georgia State upsets Baylor on Hunter's 3 Mar 19
- Bears and Panthers clash in West Regional Mar 19
- Georgia State coach injured in celebration Mar 15
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- Western Kentucky knocks off No. 25 ODU Jan 10
- Western Kentucky hosts No. 25 Old Dominion Jan 10
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8