Western Illinois turns back Truman State 71-59Nov 19, 2009 - 3:42 AM MACOMB, Ill.(AP) -- Quenton Kirby scored 18 points Wednesday night as Western Illinois picked up its first victory, defeating Truman State 71-59.
David Nurse added 15 points and Jeremy Felton 12 for the Leathernecks (1-2).
The Division II Bulldogs (1-1) were led by Vesko Filchev's double-double of 18 points and 13 rebounds. Tom Norton added 17 points.
Western Illinois was outrebounded 45-41 but forced 15 turnovers while committing only eight.
Matt Lander, who had led the Leathernecks in scoring in their first two games, suffered through a 2-for-14 night. He finished with only nine points but picked up six assists and four rebounds.
It was the first meeting between the schools.
- Callahan lifts South Dakota State over Western Illinois in OT Mar 7
- Leathernecks and Jackrabbits seek Summit League championship Mar 6
- Michigan holds off Western Illinois Nov 18
- Leathernecks seek upset of 17th-ranked Wolverines Nov 17
- Glenn leads IUPUI over Western Illinois 77-68 Mar 7
- North Dakota State pulls out overtime win, 63-59 Feb 27
- South Dakota State stymies Western Illinois 66-53 Feb 25
- Clark propels Western Illinois over UMKC 64-59 Feb 20
- Lander, Western Illinois drop Southern Utah 63-49 Feb 18
- Western Illinois defeats Centenary 64-55 Feb 13
- Western Illinois staves off Oral Roberts 64-62 Feb 11
- Glenn's 27 lead IUPUI past Western Illinois 70-42 Feb 6