Marshall defeats Salem International 119-35Dec 4, 2009 - 2:43 AM HUNTINGTON, W. Va.(AP) -- Hassan Whiteside scored 19 points to lead five Marshall players in double figures in a 119-35 win over Salem International on Thursday night.
The Thundering Herd (5-1) shot 58.5 percent from the field (48 of 82) and won by the largest margin of victory in school history. The second-largest victory was 64 points in 1944, also against Salem International, then called Salem College.
Antonio Haymon scored 16 points, Dago Pena added 15 and Tyler Wilkerson chipped in 10 for Marshall. Shaquille Johnson scored all 12 of his points in the first half for the Thundering Herd.
Marshall scored 38 points off of 33 turnovers and held Salem International to 23.7 percent shooting (14 of 59).
It was the first game for Salem International (0-4), a Division II school, under coach Randy Ungerm who took over on Nov. 19.
Brooks Ludwig scored 10 points for the Tigers.
- NCAA BB
SALEM INTERNATI 35
MARSHALL 119 FINAL
Dec 3 8:48 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Newly ranked ODU rolls past Marshall Jan 8
- No. 25 Old Dominion takes aim at Marshall Jan 8
- No. 22 WVU rallies to top Marshall Dec 14
- Marshall challenges No. 22 West Virginia Dec 14
- Louisville pulls away to down Marshall Nov 22
- Marshall comes calling on No. 7 Louisville Nov 21
- Wichita State's Marshall named USBWA Coach of the Year Mar 24
- Herrion resigns as Marshall hoops coach Mar 14