Chattanooga tops Georgia Southern 82-62Mar 6, 2010 - 4:37 AM CHARLOTTE, N.C.(AP) -- Ridge McKeither matched a season high with 19 points as Chattanooga beat Georgia Southern 82-62 in the opening round of the Southern Conference Tournament on Friday night.
Josh Odem added 13 and Chris Early had 10 points and 11 rebounds as the Mocs (15-17) moved into a quarterfinal matchup against College of Charleston on Saturday.
Chattanooga led by as many as 28, pulling away early in the second half after leading 40-29 at halftime. The Mocs dominated inside, gaining a 49-20 rebound advantage with 54 of its 82 points in the paint, and hit 18 of 21 from the field in the second half. Chattanooga shot 66.7 percent from the field for the game.
Chattanooga had lost seven of its previous eight games.
Rory Spencer led Georgia Southern (9-23) with 15 points, and Antonio Hanson and Willie Powers scored 12 each. The Eagles shot 34.4 percent from the field.
- Chattanooga selects McCall as new men's hoops coach Apr 12
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7
- Georgia State makes NCAAs for 1st time since 2001 Mar 15
- Georgia pride and Sun Belt title up for grabs Mar 15
- No. 3 Wisconsin trounces Chattanooga Nov 16
- No. 3 Wisconsin entertains Chattanooga Nov 16
- Chattanooga extends Foster through 2018-19 Jun 5
- Adams leads UCLA past Chattanooga Nov 25
- Mocs seek upset of 22nd-ranked Bruins Nov 24
- Chattanooga selects Wade as new men's hoops coach May 13
- Chattanooga tabs Foster as next women's basketball coach May 9
- Georgia Southern tabs Byington as men's basketball coach Apr 1