Nebraska takes down No. 13 Texas A&MJan 29, 2011 - 10:50 PM Lincoln, NE (Sports Network) - Jorge Brian Diaz scored a game-high 16 points, and Nebraska put the clamps down on 13th-ranked Texas A&M to secure a 57-48 Big 12 victory.
Lance Jeter and Brandon Richardson each added 10 points for the Cornhuskers (15-5, 3-3 Big 12), who stayed perfect at the Devaney Center this season.
"If you want a chance to compete in this league you have to take care of home court," Nebraska head coach Doc Sadler said. "What can I say about the crowd? We wouldn't have won this basketball game if we didn't have a full house."
Nathan Walkup and Khris Middleton contributed 13 and 12 points, respectively, for Texas A&M, which committed twice as many turnovers (14) as Nebraska and made just 6-of-14 attempts from the foul line.
The Aggies (17-3, 4-2) had their 13-game winning streak snapped by Texas last week. They rebounded against Kansas State last Saturday, but were caught looking ahead to Monday's rematch with the Longhorns by a Nebraska squad that had lost three of four coming in.
The visitors started strong, hitting 52 percent from the field in the first half en route to a 31-24 advantage at the break.
Things fell apart in the second stanza, as the hosts held the Aggies to two field goals over the first nine-plus minutes.
Nebraska still trailed 42-39 past the midway point but turned the game around behind a 10-1 flurry that was bookended by a pair of Jeter buckets, the last yielding a six-point lead with 4 1/2 minutes to go.
The closest the Aggies got from there was three after Walkup's layup made it a 51-48 game with 1:43 remaining.
Eshaunte Jones, fresh off the bench, answered with a three-ball, Middleton missed from long range at the other end, and the Cornhuskers made enough free throws in the final seconds to come away victorious.
"I thought Nebraska was great. They were great defensively. They were very physical," Texas A&M head coach Mark Turgeon said. "I did a bad job coaching today, which really didn't help us any, especially in the second half. Nebraska has a really good team, especially in this building."
Nebraska improved to 14-0 at home this season...Both teams came in with the best two scoring defenses in the conference, as the Aggies had allowed just 58.8 points per game to rank second to Nebraska's 56.9 ppg...Nebraska next plays at Kansas State on Wednesday.
- TEXAS A&M: 48
Jan 29 4:03 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 31
Jan 29 2:50 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 29 2:13 PM
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Nebraska, Kansas agree to meet in basketball next 2 seasons Mar 1