Jones helps Baylor down Aggies in OTFeb 6, 2011 - 1:05 AM
"We used to joke when he first got here that he was big shot Anthony Jones, because some guys just have a knack for hitting game-winners or being in the right place," Baylor head coach Scott Drew said.
Jones finished with 10 points and eight rebounds while Perry Jones III scored a career-high 27 to go with seven rebounds for Baylor (15-7, 5-4 Big 12), which has won two of three.
LaceDarius Dunn added 17 points, and Quincy Acy scored 10 for the Bears, who improved to 2-3 in true road games.
B.J. Holmes led the Aggies (17-5, 4-4) with 19 points. Khris Middleton scored 18 while grabbing nine boards, and David Loubeau added 15 points in the team's season-high third straight loss.
"We started another game awful," Aggies coach Mark Turgeon said. "Baylor played great, Perry Jones was fantastic.We missed a lot of open ones, missed a lot of free throws."
Texas A&M's Nathan Walkup hit a long three-pointer with 48 seconds remaining in regulation to knot the game at 69 -- his only made shot of a the day. Walkup attempted another three at the end of regulation but the shot was off target.
Holmes gave the Aggies their first lead since 3-2 with a short jumper at 4:26 of the overtime, making it 71-69. Texas A&M held the lead until Perry Jones tied the game at 73-73 with a layup at 1:13.
Perry Jones and Holmes then traded trips to the line, and after Dunn missed a short jumper with six ticks remaining, Anthony Jones came from the right side of the lane, collected the rebound, and dropped in the putback to seal the victory for Baylor.
"[Baylor's] second chance points cost us the game," Turgeon said.
Baylor led 43-40 at the half and quickly widened its gap to nine, 57-48, on a Dunn three-pointer at 14:53. The teams traded baskets and Baylor's Fred Ellis widened the margin to 63-52 with a short layup at 10:45.
The Aggies' Kourtney Roberson hit a short jumper 21 seconds later to begin an 11-4 Texas A&M run, capped by a Holmes three at 5:36 to cut the Bears' advantage to 67-63.
Baylor's lead remained around five, and after Holmes made 1-of-2 from the line with 2:52 remaining the Bears' advantage was down to 69-66.
Both teams went cold in the final minutes of regulation until Walkup's game- tying shot.
Dunn paced the Bears with 14 points on 5-of-8 from the field in the first half, and Baylor entered the break with a 43-40 advantage. Perry Jones added 12 points and Baylor shot 61.5 percent from the field despite committing seven turnovers.
Perry Jones was 9-of-9 from the free throw line and Baylor made 11-of-16 overall...The Bears held a 35-30 rebounding advantage, but committed 17 turnovers...Roberson finished with 11 points and eight rebounds for the Aggies...Derrek Lewis missed the game for Texas A&M due to an ankle injury.
- BAYLOR: 76
TEXAS A&M: 74
Final - OT
Feb 5 4:27 PM
- BAYLOR: 69
TEXAS A&M: 69
End of Regulation
Feb 5 4:08 PM
- BAYLOR: 43
TEXAS A&M: 40
Feb 5 2:56 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 5 2:06 PM
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8
- Texas A&M athletic director Hyman steps down after 4 years Jan 5
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12