Bowers helps Missouri dominate BaylorFeb 24, 2011 - 6:16 AM
Kim English added 16 points for the Tigers (22-6, 8-5 Big 12), who have won four in a row and improved to 17-0 at home this season. Ricardo Ratliffe had 11 points and 13 boards in the victory.
Quincy Acy led the Bears (17-10, 6-7) with 13 points and nine rebounds, but they lost for the third time in four games. Baylor head coach Scott Drew said his team expected it to be a tough game because of Missouri's success at home, as well as because of Missouri's ability to force turnovers.
"It was an opportunity for us to get better at handling pressure," Drew said. "Obviously, with six assists and 21 turnovers, we didn't do what we wanted to do."
Missouri led almost the entire game thanks to a staunch defensive effort in the first half, when it held Baylor to 30 percent (9-of-30) shooting.
"I think our defense was the big difference of the game -- they were very active," said Missouri head coach Mike Anderson. "First half alone I think we had 18 deflections and then we were coming up with some loose balls early on, and we were able to get up on Baylor's team."
The Tigers started to pull away late in the opening period, when they scored nine consecutive points to take a 29-15 lead. English opened the burst with a three-pointer and a layup, and Ratliffe ended it with consecutive buckets, scoring the second with 5:19 on the clock.
Missouri carried a 33-20 advantage into the break, though Baylor got back within single digits early in the second half -- Acy's dunk had the Bears within 41-33.
But the Tigers countered with another 9-0 stretch to gain some separation. English closed it with a three to put Missouri up by 17 with 13 minutes to go.
The Tigers led by double digits the rest of the way, pushing the margin into the 20s in the final three minutes.
Missouri has won 52 of its last 54 home games since the end of the 2007-08 season...LaceDarius Dunn had 12 points for Baylor, while Perry Jones III added 10 points and 10 boards. J'mison Morgan also scored 10 in the loss...Marcus Denmon netted 13 for Missouri.
- BAYLOR: 59
Feb 23 10:52 PM
- BAYLOR: 20
Feb 23 9:49 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 23 9:06 PM
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28