Johnson powers Purdue past WisconsinFeb 17, 2011 - 3:14 AM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - JaJuan Johnson's double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds powered 11th-ranked Purdue to a 70-62 victory over No. 10 Wisconsin at Mackey Arena.
Johnson added four blocks and two steals for the Boilermakers (21-5, 10-3 Big Ten), who have won three straight games to move into second place in the conference standings.
E'Twaun Moore had 19 points and Lewis Jackson scored 18 for Purdue, which improved to 14-0 at home in 2010-11.
Jon Leuer logged a game-high 23 points to pace the Badgers (19-6, 9-4), who couldn't maintain the momentum from Saturday's win over then-No. 1 and previously unbeaten Ohio State.
Moore drained a three-pointer to increase Purdue's lead to 51-38 with a little over 11 minutes remaining in the second half.
Wisconsin, which erased a 15-point deficit in the second half on Saturday, slowly chipped away and closed the gap to 58-56 on a pair of Ryan Evans' free throws with 3:55 to play.
Moore converted a tough shot in the lane and knocked down a trey before Johnson made two free throws to put the home team up 65-56 with 1:47 left.
"E'Twaun made that big three and that was a huge basket," said Purdue head coach Matt Painter. "Then we made our free throws down the stretch."
Wisconsin jumped out to a 10-4 lead, but Moore nailed a three-pointer and Johnson followed with a jumper to put Purdue up 18-14 with just under 8 1/2 minutes to go in the opening half.
The Boilermakers led by as many as seven on two occasions before taking a 31-25 advantage into the break.
Jackson had five assists and four rebounds...Jordan Taylor logged 15 points, five rebounds and five assists for Wisconsin, which shot 40.7 percent from the floor...Purdue made 42.9 percent of its shots...Evans finished with 11 points and six boards...The Boilermakers are now 3-3 against ranked teams this season, while the Badgers fell to 4-2...Purdue has won the last five meetings between the teams at Mackey Arena. The Boilermakers have lost just twice to the Badgers in West Lafayette since 1972.
- WISCONSIN: 62
Feb 16 8:24 PM
- WISCONSIN: 25
Feb 16 7:14 PM
- WISCONSIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 16 6:32 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Wisconsin's Hayes to enter NBA draft, won't sign with agent Apr 20
- Lamont Paris promoted to associate head coach at Wisconsin Apr 12
- Wisconsin's Nigel Hayes to get feedback on draft prospects Apr 5
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Badgers player Joe Krabbenhoft back as assistant Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Longtime Wisconsin assistant Gary Close leaves Badgers Mar 30
- Steadied under Greg Gard, Wisconsin can build on experience Mar 26
- Notre Dame advances to Elite 8 with 61-56 win over Badgers Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22