Hansbrough helps Notre Dame hold off RutgersFeb 6, 2011 - 8:34 PM Notre Dame fended off Rutgers, 76-69, at the Joyce Center.
Hansbrough added six rebounds and five assists for the Fighting Irish (19-4, 8-3 Big East), who extended their winning streak to five games. Carleton Scott posted a double-double of 12 points and 11 boards in the victory.
"It was a hard game for us," said Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey. "It was good for our group because I think we're going to be in a lot of games like this the rest of the way."
Jonathan Mitchell notched 24 points and seven rebounds for the Scarlet Knights (12-11, 3-8), who have dropped four games in a row.
"We have to play with a little more purpose on the defensive side," said Rutgers head coach Mike Rice. "When we have wide-open shots, we have to shoot a better percentage. To beat a ranked team, you're going to have to make your open shots, and we didn't do that today."
Tyrone Nash hit a layup to give Notre Dame a 25-15 lead with 9:31 to play in the first half. Rutgers later trimmed its deficit to two, but a Hansbrough jumper put the home team up 37-33 at the break.
The Scarlet Knights continued to hang around, closing within 51-49 on Austin Carroll's three-pointer with 11 minutes remaining. Notre Dame responded with an 11-2 burst that expanded its lead to 62-51. Hansbrough sank two free throws to cap the surge with 5:27 left.
Rutgers made another run and trailed by only three inside the final minute. Hansbrough, though, sealed the win at the foul line.
Notre Dame improved to 14-0 at home this season...Tim Abromaitis had 10 points and eight rebounds for the Fighting Irish...Hansbrough converted 11-of-13 free throws...Dane Miller scored 11 points in the loss.
- RUTGERS: 69
NOTRE DAME: 76
Feb 6 2:06 PM
- RUTGERS: 33
NOTRE DAME: 37
Feb 6 12:46 PM
- RUTGERS: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 6 12:06 PM
- Rutgers raises $50 million in 4 months for athletics May 10
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Brandin Knight joins Rutgers basketball coaching staff Apr 18
- Rutgers confirms that Hobbs has joined Pikiell's staff Apr 14
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jay Young hired as assistant basketball coach at Rutgers Apr 11
- Karl Hobbs leaves UConn to join Pikiell's staff at Rutgers Mar 31
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26