West Virginia takes down No. 8 Notre DameFeb 19, 2011 - 9:14 PM Morgantown, WV (Sports Network) - Darryl Bryant scored 24 points to lead West Virginia to a 72-58 victory over eighth-ranked Notre Dame.
Joe Mazzulla had 16 points with seven assists and five rebounds for the Mountaineers (17-9, 8-6 Big East), who entered Saturday having dropped three of their last four games. Kevin Jones added 14 points and 10 boards as West Virginia improved to 10-2 at home this season.
Ben Hansbrough scored 19 points for Notre Dame (21-5, 10-4) before fouling out late in the second half. Carleton Scott posted a double-double with 11 points and as many rebounds for the Fighting Irish, who had won seven in a row.
"I thought West Virginia was really ready to play," said Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey. "We really didn't do well offensively and I think that was a lot of West Virginia's doing and the atmosphere here."
Notre Dame led 27-26 after a tightly contested opening 20 minutes, but West Virginia began the second half on a 10-4 run and extended its lead to 45-35 on a Jonnie West three-pointer.
"I like those double-figure kind of leads. It is a little easier to stand there," said West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins.
Bryant knocked down a trey to put the Mountaineers up 57-42 with about 8 1/2 minutes remaining.
West Virginia maintained a comfortable advantage down the stretch.
Notre Dame was aiming for its second eight-game win streak of the season. The last time the Fighting Irish had two win streaks of at least eight games was during the 1986-87 campaign...Notre Dame had won its last three conference road games.
- NOTRE DAME: 58
WEST VIRGINIA: 72
Feb 19 3:05 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 27
WEST VIRGINIA: 26
Feb 19 1:49 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 1:07 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Press Virginia meets its match, ousted by Stephen F. Austin Mar 18