Thomas, No. 14 SDSU down San DiegoDec 12, 2010 - 6:44 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Malcolm Thomas scored 20 points, and No. 14 San Diego State used a big second half to down crosstown rival San Diego, 77-49, at Viejas Arena.
D.J. Gay added 16 points for the Aztecs (10-0), who continued the best start in program history after outscoring San Diego, 43-21, in the second half. Kawhi Leonard posted 13 points and 13 rebounds in the victory.
Ken Rancifer and Trevor Fuller both scored 12 points to lead the Toreros (1-8), who have lost eight straight following a season-opening victory. Chris Gabriel had 10 points in a losing cause.
SDSU held only a 34-28 lead at halftime, but began the second half on a 20-4 run to essentially put the game away.
"I think that we wore them down with our athleticism and size, and that is what you have to be able to do," said SDSU head coach Steve Fisher. "I obviously would like to have a 20-point halftime lead, but we still have to go out and compete hard."
Gay hit two three pointers within a minute to put the Aztecs ahead, 41-30, 3 1/2 minutes into the period, and he drilled another long distance shot a short while later for a 16-point margin.
After Rancifer's jumper kept San Diego within 16, San Diego State scored six straight points, with Brian Carlwell's free throw providing a 54-32 lead with 11:20 to play in the game.
The outcome was never in doubt down the stretch.
The Toreros held a surprising lead later in the first half, 22-16, after a pair of a Fuller free throws with 6:43 remaining. A Darian Norris three extended the advantage to seven before a 9-0 burst by the Aztecs erased the margin.
Thomas had seven points during the stretch, and his layup with three minutes left gave SDSU a 27-25 lead. After Jordan Mackie's three-point play put San Diego back in front, the Aztecs closed the half on a 7-0 burst to grab a six- point lead on James Rahon's three in the closing moments.
"I thought the first half was as good as we've been all year in terms of being competitive," said San Diego head coach Bill Grier. "We outrebounded in the first half and everyone did a good job of getting bodies on guys. I thought the pace was perfect for us, but you knew a run was coming."
San Diego State improved to 4-0 at home, while San Diego dropped to 0-4 on the road...SDSU leads the all-time series, 25-17...Gay went 4-of-5 from three- point range...San Diego totaled six assists as a team, compared to 15 for the Aztecs.
- SAN DIEGO: 49
SAN DIEGO STATE: 77
Dec 11 11:50 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 28
SAN DIEGO STATE: 34
Dec 11 10:51 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 11 10:07 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22