Zeller leads No. 1 UNC past UNC-AshevilleNov 14, 2011 - 2:57 AM Asheville, NC (Sports Network) - Tyler Zeller scored 27 points and grabbed eight rebounds, and top-ranked North Carolina topped UNC-Asheville, 91-75, at Kimmel Arena.
John Henson added 20 points and 12 boards for the Tar Heels (2-0), who began their season Friday with a defeat of Michigan State at the Carrier Classic in San Diego.
Harrison Barnes netted 17 points in the victory, during which UNC made 59 percent of its shots. Barnes, Zeller and Henson combined to make 22-of-34 shots.
By contrast, UNC-Asheville made 25-of-63 shots as a team. J.P. Primm scored 23 points and Jaron Lane had 21 for the Bulldogs (0-2), who lost at NC State on Friday to open their season.
The Bulldogs stayed close during the first half, even after the Tar Heels stretched their lead to nine and threatened to run away with the game. UNC- Asheville was still within a possession with a minute and a half left, when Chris Stephenson's layup made it a 40-38 contest.
However, the quick-strike Tar Heels went into halftime with a 48-39 lead after scoring eight of the final nine points of the period. Zeller bookended the burst with layups.
UNC solidified its lead by opening the second half with a consecutive baskets from Zeller and Barnes. Zeller scored five consecutive points moments later, and Dexter Strickland followed with a dunk to make it a 61-42 game with 15 minutes to play.
UNC-Asheville didn't let UNC turn the game into a rout, but also didn't get its deficit under 10 for the rest of the contest.
The Tar Heels held a 41-27 rebounding advantage...Matt Dickey scored 14 points for the Bulldogs, while Stephenson added 13 points and eight rebounds..Kendall Marshall had 15 assists for the Tar Heels.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 91
Nov 13 6:03 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 48
Nov 13 4:53 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 13 4:05 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Paige's shot returns in time for Tar Heels' Final Four run Mar 29