Dulkys, Florida State rout No. 3 UNCJan 15, 2012 - 12:54 AM Florida State to a dominating, 90-57, upset of No. 3 North Carolina on Saturday.
Dulkys hit a career-best eight three-pointers on just 10 attempts, as the Seminoles (11-6, 2-1 ACC) cruised through a commanding second half en route to their second straight win. Michael Snaer added 17 points and Okaro White finished with 12 and 10 rebounds.
"There's no question that he's capable of doing this," Seminoles coach Leonard Hamilton said of Dulkys. "He shoots this well every day in practice. He has difficulty at times transferring that mental focus to the game. I thought he relaxed tonight and played with an extreme amount of confidence and gave us a performance that we needed for us to be successful."
North Carolina (15-3, 2-1), which was coming off a perfect nine-game homestand, was paced by Harrison Barnes' 15 points. Tyler Zeller chipped in 14 points and 14 boards and John Henson scored 10.
The Tar Heels were playing their first road game in 42 days. Their lengthy and flawless homestand was preceded by a December 3 loss at Kentucky. On Saturday, Tallahassee proved equally unkind.
The Seminoles led 36-28 at the break before dominating the final 20 minutes of play. They opened the second half with a 17-6 run before Henson showed his frustration, drawing a technical foul for slapping at the ball post-whistle.
The infraction resulted in a mass substitution by Tar Heels' coach Roy Williams, who simultaneously pulled Henson, Zeller, Justin Watts and James McAdoo.
The move did little to motivate UNC, as Snaer hit two free throws and Dulkys drained a trey to make it 58-32 with just under 14 minutes left.
The advantage ballooned to 30 on an Ian Miller free throw near the midway point and Dulkys left to a standing ovation in the closing minutes with his team holding a 87-55 lead.
Williams gathered his bench and headed for the locker room with 14.2 seconds left, leaving five UNC players on the court to finish the discouraging defeat.
"I wanted very much for Roy to take his team off the floor so that they wouldn't get caught up in the excitement and the jubilance of our fans," said Hamilton. "That wasn't a negative on his part or anything that was disrespectful. As a matter of fact, I suggested that."
North Carolina saw its five-game win streak in Tallahassee come to and end...UNC leads the all-time series 42-11...The Seminoles earned their first win over a ranked team this season.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 57
FLORIDA STATE: 90
Jan 14 4:12 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 28
FLORIDA STATE: 36
Jan 14 2:58 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 14 2:12 PM
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5