Fordham upsets No. 22 HarvardJan 4, 2012 - 6:28 AM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Bryan Smith hit five three-pointers and finished with 22 points, lifting Fordham to a 60-54 upset win over No. 22 Harvard on Tuesday.
Chris Gaston scored 18 points and snatched 10 rebounds for Fordham (7-6), which used a 12-0 run midway through the second half to take control of the contest.
Brandyn Curry had 15 points and Keith Wright recorded eight points and 11 rebounds for the Crimson (12-2), who connected on just 8-of-30 from three- point range.
"We were concerned about them shooting from the three-point line but we knew we had to make them do that," said Fordham coach Tom Pecora. "And I think for the most part they took highly-contested shots."
Gaston and Smith netted six points apiece during the 12-0 run and Fordham led, 44-34, with 12 minutes remaining.
A 6-0 burst pulled Harvard within, 44-40, and a three-pointer by Oliver McNally tied the game, 50-50, with 3 1/2 minutes left in regulation.
But the Rams scored 10 of the last 14 points.
After Wright hit 1-of-2 from the line to pull Harvard within, 53-51, Smith nailed a backbreaking three-pointer with 37 seconds left. Curry's three- pointer on the other end didn't go down and Smith corralled the rebound with 23 seconds left to seal it.
Laurent Rivard capped an 8-1 run and gave Harvard a 22-14 advantage with 4:46 left in the first half.
The Crimson held a 27-24 lead at halftime despite missing their first six shots from beyond the arc. They finished 3-of-13 from three-point range in the opening half.
Harvard defeated Fordham, 80-57, last season...Fordham moved to 6-1 on its home floor...The Rams shot 48.8 percent from the field and connected on 6- of-12 from beyond the arc...Wright recorded his 1,000th career point.
- HARVARD: 54
Jan 3 8:51 PM
- HARVARD: 27
Jan 3 7:45 PM
- HARVARD: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 3 7:05 PM
- Highly rated recruiting class could boost Harvard basketball Dec 19
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Harvard, Stanford to face off in 2016 hoops opener in China Nov 13
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Jackson's dunk helps UNC top Harvard Mar 20
- Tar Heels take aim at Crimson in second round Mar 19
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- Virginia dominates Harvard Dec 21
- Harvard hits road to challenge No. 6 Virginia Dec 21
- Jordan, Harrison lead St. John's past Fordham Dec 14
- Red Storm and Rams meet in MSG Holiday Festival Dec 14