Napier, UConn down Quinnipiac in 2-OTNov 19, 2012 - 5:47 AM St. Thomas, VI (Sports Network) - When UConn had to have Shabazz Napier, he was there.
Napier netted 25 of his 29 points in the second half and overtime, including the game-tying layup to send the game into extra time, in No. 23 Connecticut's 89-83 double-overtime win over Quinnipiac in the semifinals of the Paradise Jam.
Napier was limited to four points on just 1-of-10 shooting in the first half for UConn (4-0), which will play New Mexico in the championship game on Monday.
Dave Johnson tallied 16 points to lead the Bobcats (2-2), who will face George Mason in the third-place game.
Garvey Young's 3-pointer gave Quinnipiac a 55-45 advantage with 5:03 to play in the second half, but Napier and the Huskies outscored the Bobcats, 15-5, the rest of the way in regulation to force an extra session.
Ryan Boatright's three-point play and Napier's driving layup pulled the Huskies within five before a pair of Johnson free throws and floater, sandwiched around another Napier layup, made it 59-52 in favor of Quinnipiac with 2:09 left.
Napier then hit a triple and another driving layup before Johnson hit two more free throws, which made it a 61-57 game.
Boatright made two from the line and after Ike Azotam's leaner didn't fall, another Napier layup with three ticks on the clock knotted the contest.
The Huskies had a 75-71 margin in the first overtime after Napier made a pair from the stripe, but Young answered with a triple before Napier knocked down two more free throws for a three-point lead with 12 seconds to go.
Johnson, though, drained a deep triple from the right wing with eight ticks on the clock to send the contest to another extra session.
UConn finally seized control in the second overtime with a 9-3 swing that gave it an 86-80 lead.
Ousmane Drame's dunk with 1:29 left made it a one-possession game, but Napier hit two more foul shots and Johnson's missed leaner essentially sealed the outcome.
Earlier, the Huskies shot just 23.1 percent (6-of-26) over the first 20 minutes and the game was tied heading into the break, 26-26.
Napier and Boatright combined to go 1-of-16 in the opening half ... Quinnipiac outrebounded the Huskies, 40-28 ... The Bobcats committed 17 turnovers compared to just nine for UConn.
- CONNECTICUT: 89
Final - 2OT
Nov 19 12:19 AM
- CONNECTICUT: 77
End of OT
Nov 18 11:58 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 61
End of Regulation
Nov 18 11:33 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 26
Nov 18 10:22 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 9:30 PM
- UConn adds New York guard to 2016-17 recruiting class May 18
- UConn to spend $10 million for new roof at Gampel Pavilion Mar 30
- Ellis, Kansas take another swing at unfriendly 2nd round Mar 18
- Ollie and 0: UConn's coach is 7 for 7 in NCAA Tourney games Mar 18
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- UConn basketball APR not perfect, but well within guidelines Feb 18
- No. 23 UConn falls to Temple 55-53 on Brown's jumper Jan 5
- UConn C Amida Brimah out with broken finger Dec 22
- Basketball graduation rate at UConn at 20 percent, improving Nov 4
- Graduate transfers put UConn back in title conversation Oct 27
- UConn preview capsule Oct 27