Illinois State upsets No. 25 DaytonDec 8, 2013 - 4:16 AM Normal, IL (SportsNetwork.com) - Daishon Knight had 20 points and pulled down six rebounds as Illinois State slipped past No. 25 Dayton, 81-75.
Bobby Hunter scored 16 points and had five steals, while Zach Lofton gave 13 points for the Redbirds (5-4), who have won their past four games.
Vee Sanford scored 14 points with five rebounds and Jordan Sibert had 13 points and six boards for the Flyers (7-2), who had won their previous two.
Illinois State scored the first six points of this game as the team never trailed in the first half.
A 3-pointer from Lofton 6 1/2 minutes in staked the team to a 15-8 lead, and he completed a 3-point play later in the first half for a 27-18 lead with just over six minutes to play.
Taking a 39-32 lead into the break, Knight hit a 3-pointer to start the second half for Illinois State, but Dayton made a move later in the half.
Four straight 3-pointers by the Flyers gave them a 50-48 lead with under 13 minutes to play after a Sanford trey.
The lead was short-lived, though, as Lofton followed with a bucket and Nick Zeisloft hit a three to give the Redbirds the lead back.
The Flyers later trailed by one, 56-55, after a Scoochie Smith jumper with 9 1/2 minutes to play, but Illinois State scored the next six points to create some distance.
Following a bucket from Jalen Robinson, Illinois State scored the next seven points with Hunter's two free throws with six minutes to play giving the team a 69-57 lead.
Dayton didn't get any closer than six the rest of the way as Illinois State secured the minor upset.
Illinois State has off until Dec. 16 when it will play in Oakland ... Dayton plays next Saturday against Central Michigan ... Dayton still leads the series, 4-3.
- DAYTON: 75
ILLINOIS STATE: 81
Dec 7 10:05 PM
- DAYTON: 32
ILLINOIS STATE: 39
Dec 7 8:51 PM
- DAYTON: 0
ILLINOIS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 7 8:06 PM
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Illinois State staffers among 7 dead in plane crash Apr 7
- Dayton extends Archie Miller's contract through 2021-22 Mar 26
- Oklahoma advances to Sweet 16 with win over Dayton Mar 22
- Flyers and Sooners mix it up in third-round action Mar 22
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Graham leads VCU past Dayton for A-10 crown Mar 15