Duquesne stuns Saint LouisFeb 28, 2014 - 5:36 AM St. Louis, MO (SportsNetwork.com) - Micah Mason scored 22 points to lead Duquesne to a 71-64 upset win over 10th-ranked Saint Louis at Chaifetz Arena.
Jerry Jones added 19 points off the bench and Ovie Soko added 12 for the Dukes (12-15, 4-10 A-10), who were in 10th place in the Atlantic 10 entering the contest.
"It means a lot. Coming off a couple tough losses this means a lot to our program as we move to the playoffs," Jones said.
Mike McCall Jr. scored 18 points, Jordair Jett added 13 and Dwayne Evans finished with 10 points and 12 boards for the Billikens (25-3, 12-1), who had a 19-game winning streak snapped.
"Tonight we didn't play well enough," Saint Louis head coach Jim Crews said. "They're all tough games. We had no license that we're going to win. One team is going to win, one team is going to lose. Whoever plays the best, that's all it is. Duquesne played better."
Saint Louis held a 42-35 lead with 13:44 left following a Jett layup, but an 18-2 run capped with a 3-pointer and layup from Jones gave the Dukes a 53-44 lead.
The teams traded baskets from there, with the Billikens never getting closer than five, until Rob Loe split a pair of free throws to make it 61-57 with just under a minute left.
Jones' layup five seconds later made it 63-57 and the Billikens were never closer than five the rest of the way.
Duquesne opened up a 13-8 lead early in the opening half. Saint Louis eventually tied the game at 16-16 on a McCall Jr. jumper at the 9:09 mark, but the Dukes scored five straight to go up 21-16.
The Billikens fought back and took a 22-21 lead on Jett's layup with 4:08 remaining in the opening session, and Saint Louis carried a 29-25 lead into the break.
Duquesne improved to 8-10 all-time against Saint Louis ... The Dukes improved to 6-6 on the road this season ... Duquesne scored 16 points of 16 Saint Louis turnovers ... The Billikens outscored the Dukes 36-22 in the paint ... Loe scored 12 points for Saint Louis ... The Billikens have never won more than 19 straight games.
- DUQUESNE: 71
ST. LOUIS: 64
Feb 27 10:01 PM
- DUQUESNE: 25
ST. LOUIS: 29
Feb 27 8:47 PM
- DUQUESNE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 27 8:03 PM
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Ferry gets extension at Duquesne Jun 30
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- VCU holds on to down Duquesne Jan 18
- Dukes seek upset of 17th-ranked Rams Jan 17
- Wichita State routs Saint Louis Dec 7
- Eighth-ranked Shockers set sights on Billikens Dec 6
- Louisville reaches Sweet 16 with win over Saint Louis Mar 22
- Cardinals battle Billikens in Midwest Regional Mar 22