Butler holds off pesky DetroitJan 28, 2007 - 1:17 AM DETROIT (Ticker) -- Butler's 3-point shooting helped avert a potential upset.
A.J. Graves scored 15 points and Pete Campbell added 12 to lead the 11th-ranked Bulldogs to a 68-58 Horizon League triumph over Detroit.
Each of Graves' and Campbell's field goals came from 3-point range for Butler (19-2, 7-1 Horizon), which was 12-of-28 from the arc.
The Titans (7-13, 4-5) battled back from a 38-24 halftime deficit to pull within 56-52 with 4:24 remaining in the game, but Graves nailed his final 3-pointer to start a 6-0 run that put the game away for good.
Mike Green scored 13 points and Brandon Crone added 12 for the Bulldogs, who shot 47 percent (20-of-43) from the field.
Graves, who leads the nation in free-throw shooting at 97 percent, never got to the line, but Green made 12-of-13 as Butler went 16-of-22 from the stripe.
Brandon Cotton netted a season-high 28 points on 11-of-22 shooting for Detroit, which shot 45 percent (21-of-47) from the floor.
This was the 61st matchup between the conference rivals. Butler has won eight of the last 11 games and leads the overall series 34-27.
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Butler gives Holtmann contract extension Mar 30
- Notre Dame needs OT to beat Butler Mar 22