Moore helps Indiana State shock No. 14 ButlerDec 10, 2006 - 2:27 AM TERRE HAUTE, Indiana (Ticker) -- Gabriel Moore brought in-state rival Butler down to earth.
Moore scored a career-high 24 points and Trent Wurtz chipped in 15 and eight rebounds to help lift Indiana State to a 72-64 upset over the 14th-ranked Bulldogs in a non-conference matchup.
Butler entered winning its first 10 games for the third-best start in program history, tying Todd Lickliter's 2002-03 squad. He also guided the school to 13 consecutive wins in 2001.
Moore connected on 8-of-14 shots from the floor, including 3-of-4 from 3-point range, and sank 5-of-8 free throws.
Indiana State (5-3), which has won the last three meetings in the series, closed the first half with an impressive 17-5 surge to grab a 35-23 advantage at intermission.
The Bulldogs (10-1) cut the deficit to seven points three times after the break, but the Sycamores made key free throws down the stretch and never allowed them to get any closer.
"This was a good win for us against a very good Butler team," Indiana State coach Royce Waltman said. "We finished the game strong with solid free-throw shooting and continuing to run the offense."
Mike Green scored 18 points and Brandon Crone added 15 and 10 rebounds for Butler, which shot 41 percent (22-of-53) but made just 8-of-30 from the arc.
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- Indiana State athletic director resigns after 11-year tenure Dec 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Butler gives Holtmann contract extension Mar 30