Korver lifts Drake past Wichita StateMar 1, 2008 - 10:45 PM DES MOINES, Iowa (Ticker) -- Klayton Korver helped Drake finish an outstanding regular season on a positive note.
Korver scored 19 points and the 20th-ranked Bulldogs pulled away for a 73-63 victory over Wichita State on Saturday in a Missouri Valley Conference matchup.
While not much was expected this season, the experienced Bulldogs (25-4, 15-3 MVC) won the regular-season crown in the normally competitive conference. Drake will be the top seed in the conference tournament for the first time in its 32-year history.
"It was nice to sit back after the game and kind of let the players enjoy it," Drake first-year coach Keno Davis said. "Those memories of cutting down the nets, getting the trophy, Senior Day, those are going to stand out."
Korver put the finishing touches on the big campaign by making five 3-pointers as Drake improved to just 3-3 in its last six contests.
In the first half, Korver sank four shots from the arc, allowing the Bulldogs to build a 34-27 at the break.
Adam Emmenecker and Leonard Houston added 14 points apiece for Drake, which trailed for less than a minute in completing the season sweep of the Shockers.
The Bulldogs extended their halftime advantage to 45-31 with just over 15 minutes remaining.
However, the Shockers slowly crept back into the game, closing to 63-58 with 3:53 to go on Aaron Ellis' floater.
Emmenecker converted a three-point play six seconds later, putting Drake in control for good.
P.J. Couisnard scored 20 points and Matt Braeuer 16 for Wichita State (11-19, 4-14), which lost five of its last six regular-season games.
"I thought we played hard but we didn't play smart tonight," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall said. "You have to play smarter to come in here and beat a team like Drake. I hope we play Drake again in the tournament and I probably won't change my game plan."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WICHITA ST 27 36 63
DRAKE (20) 34 39 73 FINAL
Mar 1 4:02 PM
- NCAA BB
WICHITA ST 27
(20) DRAKE 34 HALFTIME
Mar 1 2:46 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2