McFarland, Teague lift Wake Forest over RichmondDec 20, 2008 - 6:01 AM RICHMOND, Virginia (Ticker) -- It took 30 minutes before Wake Forest was able to solve the web that Richmond hoped would weave an upset on Friday.
Chas McFarland and Jeff Teague combined for 41 points as Wake Forest remained undefeated, battling past the stubborn Spiders, 86-79.
Richmond, looking to make it a big night for the school as its football team won the FCS title, hung tough and trailed its Atlantic Coast Conference foe, 52-51, with 11:30 left in the game.
Teague then ignited an 13-2 run over three minutes to give the 10th-ranked Demon Deacons (10-0) breathing room. The 6-2 sophomore, who scored 14 points in the second half, hit two free throws, two layups and a jump shot during the spurt that gave Wake a 65-53 advantage.
The Spiders wouldn't quit, reeling off a 13-5 run to make it 78-74 with 1:34 left.
"It was a little more competitive than I thought it would be," Wake Forest coach Dino Gaudio said. "It was really hot in (the gym), and our guys felt it."
Teague then hit a layup and Al-Farouq Aminu slammed home a hoop to double the advantage and seal the victory with 40 seconds remaining.
McFarland, a 7-0 junior, had 14 of his 20 points in the first half as Wake Forest scrapped its way to a 37-35 advantage at the break over the pesky Spiders.
"When we took the lead, we couldn't hold it very long," Richmond coach Chris Mooney said. "Defensively, we couldn't sustain a more solid effort."
Wake dominated Richmond (5-5) on the backboards, enjoying a 36-21 advantage.
Kevin Anderson led Richmond with 21 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WAKE FOREST (10) 37 49 86
RICHMOND 35 44 79 FINAL
Dec 19 9:08 PM
- NCAA BB
(10) WAKE FOREST 37
RICHMOND 35 HALFTIME
Dec 19 7:49 PM
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- After another losing season, Wake turns focus to future Mar 9
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- Wake Forest suspends Thomas, dismisses Hudson from hoop team Feb 19
- 'It just hurts': Frustrated Wake Forest hopes for turnaround Jan 27
- Wilbekin, Crawford taking on bigger role at Wake Forest Nov 4
- Wake Forest suspends Hudson, Watson from hoop team Oct 31
- Wake expects improvement in Manning's second season Oct 26
- Wake Forest Preview Capsule Oct 26