Hahn, Veasley lead as Butler cruises past Wright St.Feb 8, 2009 - 7:47 AM DAYTON, Ohio (Ticker) -- Zach Hahn scored a career-high 17 points and Willie Veasley added 13 as No. 11 Butler swept the season series from Horizon League rival Wright State with a 69-51 victory on Saturday.
Freshman Gordon Hayward added nine points and eight rebounds and Garrett Butcher grabbed nine boards for the Bulldogs, who completed a string of three road games in six days.
Butler (21-2, 12-1 Horizon) took control in the first half with some staunch defense, holding the Raiders (14-10, 8-5) to 22 percent (6-of-27) shooting. Wright State managed just one field goal over the first 12:18 as the Bulldogs jumped out a 19-2 lead.
Butler stretched it to 27-7 and cruised into the break with a 39-21 edge. Hahn came off the bench to shoot 5-of-5 from beyond the arc to lead the first-half charge.
Wright State watched the lead grow to as much as 24 points in the second half and did not shoot much better (10-of-32) after the break.
The win snapped a seven-game losing streak at the Nutter Center for the Bulldogs.
Scott Grote scored 13 points and Todd Brown and Cory Copperwood added 12 apiece for the Raiders, who have dropped two of three.
Wright State entered the contest with the No. 2 scoring defense in the country but allowed the Bulldogs to shoot 46 percent (22-of-48), including 12-of-24 from beyond the arc.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BUTLER (11) 39 30 69
WRIGHT ST 21 30 51 FINAL
Feb 7 9:08 PM
- NCAA BB
(11) BUTLER 39
WRIGHT ST 21 HALFTIME
Feb 7 7:58 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Wright State hires South Dakota State basketball coach Apr 4
- Wright State fires coach Billy Donlon after 6 seasons Mar 19
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9