Moore leads Purdue past IndianaFeb 22, 2009 - 12:05 AM WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (Ticker) -- E'Twaun Moore scored a career-high 26 points as No. 21 Purdue coasted to an 81-67 victory over Indiana on Saturday.
Coming off Tuesday's home win over fifth-ranked Michigan State, Purdue (21-6, 10-4 Big Ten) showed no sign of a letdown against the pitiful Hoosiers, scoring the game's first six points and never trailing.
Moore lit up the defenseless Hoosiers (6-20, 1-13), making five of his team's seven 3-pointers. The sophomore scored 18 points in the first half on 7-of-9 shooting as the Boilermakers built a 39-30 lead at the break.
"I just had a few opportunities," Moore said. "I just kept knocking down those shots."
Purdue coach Matt Painter thought Moore was due for a big game.
"I thought earlier in the year that it was a matter of time before he had a big time game," Painter said. "In the first-half he established himself with 3's."
Verdell Jones III scored 16 points to lead Indiana, which fell to 0-9 on the road.
Moore came out hot, making three shots from the arc in less than eight minutes as the Boilermakers raced to an early 16-8 lead. Moore made 10-of-15 shots overall.
While Moore was lighting things up from the outside, JaJuan Johnson was taking care of things on the interior. The improving 6-10 center collected 14 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks.
The Boilermakers had their lead reduced below double figures early in the second half, then scored six straight points, capped by Bobby Riddell's 3-pointer for a 53-39 advantage with under 12 minutes left.
Purdue was able to maintain its lead by shooting an efficient 56 percent (28-of-50). The performance from the field overcame a woeful 18-of-33 effort at the free-throw line.
Tom Pritchard added 12 points for the Hoosiers, who shot 50 percent (29-of-58).
Indiana coach Tom Crean gave credit to the Boilermakers.
"They're good in all facets," Crean said. "They really are. There's people who are going to look at them in tournament and they're not going to say 'we can take them out in this because they don't have players who can do that.' (Painter) has done a great job at that."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
INDIANA 30 37 67
PURDUE (21) 39 42 81 FINAL
Feb 21 4:14 PM
- NCAA BB
(21) PURDUE 39 HALFTIME
Feb 21 2:57 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22