Reynolds, Anderson help Villanova top ProvidenceMar 6, 2009 - 5:51 AM VILLANOVA, Pennsylvania (Ticker) -- Scottie Reynolds poured in 23 points and Dwayne Anderson added 19 as No. 16 Villanova rolled over Providence, 97-80, on Thursday.
Dante Cunningham added 19 points and eight rebounds and Corey Fisher chipped in 13 points off the bench for the Wildcats (25-6, 13-5 Big East), who grabbed sole possession of fourth place in the Big East and the last bye into the quarterfinals of the conference tournament.
Villanova clinched the No. 4 seed in the tournament and picked up their 28th straight home win.
"I thought we were focused in this game because we really wanted the double-bye," Reynolds told the Providence Journal. "We wanted to also protect our homecourt. We wanted to keep the streak going and I was happy that we did."
Weyinmi Efejuku scored 29 points to lead the Friars (18-12, 10-8), who took a hit to their NCAA Tournament chances.
"The coaches were telling us in the locker room that we don't want to go (to the Big East tournament) and get just one (win)," Efejuku told the paper. "We want to go there and take it one game at a time and try to win the tournament."
Providence, which entered the game with back-to-back wins over then No. 1 Pittsburgh and at Rutgers, will need to pick up some wins in the Big East Tournament to solidify a spot in the field of 65.
"We got beat by a better team," Providence coach Keno Davis told the Providence Journal. "It's tough to win in a place where they have won 28 straight."
The Wildcats shot 58 percent (21-of-36) in the second half to pull away.
The Friars cut the lead to 48-45 on Sharaud Curry's 3-pointer with 16:55 left in the game before Villanova used an 18-3 run to pull away.
Reynolds scored 13 points after the break for the Wildcats, who have won four of five.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PROVIDENCE 34 46 80
VILLANOVA (16) 40 57 97 FINAL
Mar 5 9:08 PM
- NCAA BB
(16) VILLANOVA 40 HALFTIME
Mar 5 7:50 PM
- Villanova's buzzer-beater Jenkins to stay for senior season May 3
- Villanova receives $22.6 million gift for arena renovation Apr 20
- National champion Wildcats bask in celebratory perks Apr 12
- Philadelphia cheers NCAA champs Villanova with parade Apr 8
- Classes off, party on: a Philly bash for champion Villanova Apr 6
- Oklahoma and Villanova face the shooting woes of NRG Stadium Apr 2
- 'Nova looks to show growth since 1st game against Oklahoma Mar 31
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Top-seeded Kansas, No. 2 Villanova set for Elite 8 showdown Mar 25
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19