Raymond, Xavier clip FlyersMar 6, 2009 - 5:58 AM CINCINNATI (Ticker) -- B.J. Raymond celebrated his senior night with 14 points to lead No. 18 Xavier to a 76-59 win over Dayton on Thursday.
Dante Jackson added 14 points and Derrick Brown collected 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Musketeers, who moved into sole possession of first place in the Atlantic 10.
Xavier (23-5, 11-3 Atlantic 10) clinched the outright regular-season crown and the No. 1 seed in the A-10 tournament.
"We never like to lose," Raymond said. "We got into it a little bit with them. It gave us a lot more energy and we just wanted to show them we were ready."
The Musketeers set the pace in the first half with a strong defensive effort, holding the Flyers (24-6, 10-5) to 37 percent (11-of-30) shooting en route to a 40-27 lead at the break.
Jackson took over at the start, scoring Xavier's first 11 points to grab the lead. Jackson knocked down three 3-pointers in that stretch and finished the contest 4-of-7 from the floor.
Raymond scored 12 points in the second half before being lifted to a standing ovation from the home crowd in the final minutes.
"There was an electric atmosphere tonight on senior night," Xavier coach Sean Miller said. "I don't know if it was our team that fed off the crowd or if the crowd fed off our team's energy. We struggled on offense some tonight, but not just because of us. Dayton's a terrific team.
"There are not two tougher guys or two guys with bigger hearts (than C.J. Anderson and B.J. Raymond). Think of our great tradition here the last 25 years. There has never been a player who won more games than B.J."
Marcus Johnson scored 19 points for Dayton, which has not won here since 1981 - absorbing 24 straight losses.
"The last three minutes we took quick shots, bad shots, and they came down and made shots on the other end," Dayton coach Brian Gregory said. "They played well. It would be great if we got to play again."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DAYTON 27 32 59
XAVIER (18) 40 36 76 FINAL
Mar 5 11:06 PM
- NCAA BB
(18) XAVIER 40 HALFTIME
Mar 5 9:55 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31