Douglas carries Florida State past Virginia TechMar 8, 2009 - 8:15 PM TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Ticker) -- Toney Douglas put another major dent in Virginia Tech's fading NCAA Tournament hopes.
Douglas scored 22 points to help No. 24 Florida State pull away for a 63-53 victory over the Hokies in the Atlantic Coast Conference on Sunday.
Florida State (23-8, 10-6 ACC) registered 10 conference wins for the first time since the 1992-92 season behind Douglas, who single-handedly repelled a late comeback by Virginia Tech.
The Hokies (17-13, 7-9) ended the regular season on a downward spiral, with Sunday's loss marking their sixth defeat in the last seven games.
Playing with the urgency of a desperate team, Virginia Tech whittled a 14-point lead to 45-42 with just under 7 1/2 minutes to play.
Enter Douglas, who buried a 3-pointer on the ensuing possession, igniting a spree in which he scored 12 points in just over four minutes to build the lead back to 59-49 with three minutes to play.
A.J. Vassallo and Malcolm Delaney scored 14 and 13 points, respectively, for the Hokies, who shot a miserable 31 percent (16-of-50) from the floor and 5-of-21 from the arc.
The Seminoles, who led by as many as 14 points in the first half, clinched at least fourth place in the ACC, earning a bye in next week's conference tournament.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
VIRGINIA TECH 25 28 53
FLORIDA ST (24) 32 31 63 FINAL
Mar 8 4:05 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 25
(24) FLORIDA ST 32 HALFTIME
Mar 8 2:56 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4
- Hamilton, Florida State looks to snap 5-game losing streak Feb 26