Frontcourt fuels Wake Forest past ClemsonMar 9, 2009 - 12:30 AM WINSTON-SALEM, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Forwards James Johnson and freshman Al-Farouq Aminu each scored 21 points as No. 10 Wake Forest pulled away from 19th-ranked Clemson for a 96-88 victory on Sunday.
Jeff Teague scored 15 points and Chas McFarland had 14 and eight rebounds for the Demon Deacons (24-5, 11-5 ACC), who will be the second seed in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.
Wake Forest shot 60 percent (34-of-57) from the field but Clemson was able to hang around for the majority of the contest.
The Demon Deacons were finally able to swing the momentum in their favor, using a 16-5 burst to take an 83-71 bulge with 4:10 remaining. McFarland scored seven points and Johnson capped the run with a dunk.
Terrence Oglesby knocked down a couple of 3-pointers to cut the Tigers' deficit to single digits, but Clemson (23-7, 9-7) was unable to get any closer the rest of the way. The Tigers finished the ACC regular season in fifth place.
K.C. Rivers and Demontez Stitt each scored 21 points and Trevor Booker had 18 and 10 rebounds to lead Clemson, which has lost three of its past four games.
Rivers made consecutive 3-pointers to cap an 11-0 run as Clemson took a 30-23 lead with 6:18 left in the first half.
The Tigers went up by as many as 10 before the Demon Deacons pulled within 44-40 at the break.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CLEMSON (19) 44 44 88
WAKE FOREST (10) 40 56 96 FINAL
Mar 8 8:19 PM
- NCAA BB
(19) CLEMSON 44
(10) WAKE FOREST 40 HALFTIME
Mar 8 7:02 PM
- Wake Forest adds 2nd grad transfer, Matt Williams from UCF Apr 27
- Wake adds grad transfer Austin Arians from Milwaukee Apr 20
- Clemson leading scorer Jaron Blossomgame files for NBA draft Mar 16
- Manning: 2 Wake Forest men's basketball players to transfer Mar 15
- After another losing season, Wake turns focus to future Mar 9
- Wake Forest suspends Thomas, dismisses Hudson from hoop team Feb 19
- 'It just hurts': Frustrated Wake Forest hopes for turnaround Jan 27
- Clemson picks up Texas A&M transfer in Elijah Thomas Jan 7
- Wilbekin, Crawford taking on bigger role at Wake Forest Nov 4
- Coach: Clemson reserve guard Austin Ajukwa transferring Nov 3
- Wake Forest suspends Hudson, Watson from hoop team Oct 31
- Wake Forest Preview Capsule Oct 26