Holiday near perfect as UCLA rollsNov 30, 2008 - 5:20 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- UCLA did not get caught looking ahead.
Freshman Jrue Holiday scored a season-high 20 points and Darren Collison had 11 and seven assists as No. 11 UCLA crushed Florida International, 89-54, on Saturday.
Holiday played just 19 minutes and made all eight of his shots from the field and was 3-of-4 from the foul line for the Bruins (4-1), who shot 65 percent (34-of-52) as a team.
"As games go on (this season), you see your personnel and know who to hit when and where everybody is," Collison told the Orange County Register. "The more games we get, the better we are. I think this team is going to be real dangerous down the stretch."
UCLA visits No. 7 Texas on Thursday, but showed it was ready to play in this one early in the contest.
The Bruins used a 26-1 run to take a 28-5 bulge with 8:30 left and never looked back. Holiday scored 10 points during the burst.
The Golden Panthers' offense continued to struggle and Holiday's 3-pointer closed the first-half scoring as UCLA went into the locker room with a 46-13 bulge.
Florida International shot 16 percent (3-of-19) during the first half and missed 16 of its final 17 shots over the last 18:32 of the stanza.
UCLA opened the second half on a 12-2 run to extend the lead to 58-15 with 15:40 remaining and cruised to the finish.
Michael Roll added 11 points for the Bruins, who outrebounded the Golden Panthers, 33-20.
Nikola Gacessa scored 21 points to lead the Golden Panthers (3-4), who lost their third straight game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FIU 13 41 54
UCLA (11) 46 43 89 FINAL
Nov 29 9:26 PM
- NCAA BB
(11) UCLA 46 HALFTIME
Nov 29 8:26 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- Madness! UCLA beats SMU on goaltending call Mar 19
- Bruins battle Mustangs in South Regional affair Mar 19
- Ashley scores 24 as Arizona tops UCLA Mar 14