Xavier returns home to trounce George WashingtonFeb 23, 2009 - 12:56 AM CINCINNATI (Ticker) -- Xavier returned home to reclaim first place in the Atlantic 10 Conference.
C.J. Anderson scored all 14 of his points in the second half Sunday, pacing five players in double figures and leading 17th-ranked Xavier to a 71-53 rout of George Washington.
B.J. Raymond and Brad Redford scored 12 points each for the Musketeers (22-5, 10-3 A-10), who bounced back from Thursday's upset loss at Charlotte. It was the third consecutive road defeat for Xavier, which also lost at Duquesne and Dayton in the last two weeks.
But the Musketeers maintained their dominance at the Cintas Center, where they have won 23 straight conference games.
"We're coming into the home stretch of our season," Xavier coach Sean Miller said. "With two home games left and what we need to have happen, I felt good about our performance. We did as good a job as we have all season taking care of the ball."
Sunday's victory vaulted Xavier one-half game ahead of Dayton (23-4, 9-3) in the A-10 standings.
"For us, it's really simple," Miller said. "There are just three games left and we have a chance to win the conference."
Anderson did not attempt a shot in the first half as the Musketeers entered the break with a comfortable 36-20 lead. But the 6-6 senior was more aggressive after the break and finished 3-of-7 from the floor and 7-of-9 from the free-throw line.
"I think it was an important game for the team," Anderson said. "I didn't play well in the first half, but B.J. and Derrick (Brown) did."
Brown and Dante Jackson both finished with 11 points for Xavier, which will face A-10 powers Saint Joseph's and Dayton in its next two games.
"The thing I like about (the Musketeers) is that they all have their roles and they know what they are," George Washington coach Karl Hobbs said. "They are very versatile and experienced and they all understand how to win."
Damian Hollis scored 15 points for George Washington (8-16, 2-10), which has lost 14 of its last 16 games.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEO WASHINGTON 20 33 53
XAVIER (17) 36 35 71 FINAL
Feb 22 3:14 PM
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 20
(17) XAVIER 36 HALFTIME
Feb 22 1:54 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- No. 5 Xavier in running for high NCAA tournament seed Feb 25
- Big East's top 2 teams set for high-stakes rematch at Xavier Feb 23
- Xavier's Sumner 'walking, talking' after hard fall at game Dec 31
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- Xavier's Chris Mack gets 1-year extension Apr 1
- Arizona pulls away from Xavier to set up Elite Eight rematch Mar 27