Shipp's career-night helps UCLA rout Oregon StateMar 6, 2009 - 6:48 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Josh Shipp scored a career-high 27 points as No. 17 UCLA continued its recent dominance of Oregon State with a 79-54 victory on Thursday.
Nikola Dragovic added 13 points and eight rebounds for the Bruins (23-7, 14-4 Pac-10), who have won the last nine meetings with the Beavers by an average of 22.2 points.
Oregon State (13-15, 7-10) shot just 27 percent (7-of-26) in the first half and UCLA took control midway through the session.
"We executed the way we wanted to for 10 or 11 minutes, and then boom, boom, boom, they hit three 3s and get their confidence up," Beavers coach Craig Robinson told the Oregonian.
"When you're playing teams this good, you can't play partial games ... you can't let them go up 20 and them play them even in the second half."
Over the final 11:15 of the first half, UCLA outscored Oregon State, 34-8, to take a 43-19 bulge into the locker rooms.
Shipp scored 17 straight points for his team at one point, finishing the half with 22 on 8-of-11 shooting from the floor, including 4-of-6 from the arc.
"I've just been shooting a lot more down the stretch," Shipp said. "I just got in a rhythm and was able to knock down shots in bunches."
"It was like he was shooting in his back yard, not playing anybody," Robinson said of Shipp to the Oregonian. "We knew exactly what we had to do against him, but some guys are better than other guys."
The Beavers played better in the second half but never got closer than 16 as the Bruins cruised to the finish.
Lathen Wallace scored 15 points and Seth Tarver had 13 to pace the Beavers, who have lost two straight since a three-game winning streak.
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28