Pendergraph, Arizona State stomp CaliforniaMar 7, 2009 - 9:10 PM TEMPE, Arizona (Ticker) -- On Senior Day, Jeff Pendergraph took center stage to end Arizona State's late-season tailspin.
Pendergraph poured in 27 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to help the 21st-ranked Sun Devils snap a three-game losing streak with an 83-66 thumping of California in the Pac-10 on Saturday.
James Harden, the conference's leading scorer, added 20 points, Rihards Kuksiks contributed 17 and Derek Glasser finished with 12 points and 11 assists for Arizona State (22-8, 11-7).
The Sun Devils ended a five-game home losing streak against the Golden Bears behind Pendergraph, who scored 15 points in the second half to repel a pair of comeback attempts by Cal (22-9, 11-7).
Pendergraph finished 10-of-14 from the floor and recorded his 29th career double-double as the Sun Devils shot 53 percent (26-of-49).
Harden had 17 points and Pendergraph 12 to help Arizona State bolt to a 42-26 halftime lead. The Golden Bears twice whittled the deficit to 12 points in the second half and got as close as 66-57 with 6:17 to play.
Pendergraph answered with a dunk 10 seconds later to trigger a 9-0 run as Arizona State built a comfortable 75-67 cushion with just under four minutes left.
Jerome Randle scored 24 points and Theo Robertson 19 for California, which entered the contest as the leading 3-point shooting team in the country but was held to 5-of-20 from the arc.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CALIFORNIA 26 40 66
ARIZONA ST (21) 43 40 83 FINAL
Mar 7 4:03 PM
- NCAA BB
(21) ARIZONA ST 43 HALFTIME
Mar 7 2:51 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Cal point guard Tyrone Wallace breaks hand in practice Mar 18
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17
- Cal to face familiar friend in Hawaii assistant Montgomery Mar 17
- No. 24 California enters Pac-12 tournament on a roll Mar 7
- After undefeated February, Cal seeks Pac-12 title in March Mar 1
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23