Shine helps No. 12 Virginia cruise past SC UpstateNov 19, 2009 - 2:49 AM CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Chelsea Shine had a career-high 27 points and 11 rebounds to lead No. 12 Virginia to a 110-63 victory over South Carolina Upstate on Wednesday night.
The sophomore forward, celebrating her 20th birthday, shot 10 for 13 from the field. Monica Wright and Simone Egwu added 19 points each to help the Cavaliers (3-0) to their highest scoring output in nine years.
Virginia's Debbie Ryan coached her 1,000th game, improving to 702-298.
Chelsea McMillan scored 14 points to lead SC Upstate (2-1), which was 8 for 34 on 3-pointers. Courtney Hawkins had 13 points and Lesley Daniel added 11.
The Cavaliers held a distinctive size advantage and it showed as they outrebounded SC Upstate 64-35 and scored 58 points in the paint.
Virginia led 54-38 at halftime.
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- No. 11 Louisville women pull away from Virginia 74-59 Feb 18
- Thomas leads No. 15 Florida State women past Virginia 70-48 Jan 21
- No. 23 Louisville women beat Virginia 59-41 Jan 14
- Turner leads No. 3 Notre Dame women past Virginia, 74-46 Jan 7
- Virginia women defeat No. 22 Miami 76-56 Jan 3
- No. 9 Ohio State women beat Virginia 93-73 Dec 21
- Virginia upsets No. 6 Maryland Jan 23
- No. 2 Notre Dame holds off Virginia Jan 12
- Thomas leads Maryland in a rout of Virginia Feb 17
- Duke dominates Virginia in second half Feb 8
- Maryland eases past Virginia in ACC opener Dec 6