Thomas leads No. 11 Duke over Ga Southern 69-42Nov 20, 2009 - 3:06 AM DURHAM, N.C.(AP) -- Jasmine Thomas scored 12 points to lead a balanced offense and No. 11 Duke won easily in its home opener, routing Georgia Southern 69-42 on Thursday night.
The Blue Devils (2-1) dropped from No. 6 to No. 11 in the poll this week on the heels of a 95-77 loss at Texas A&M on Sunday.
Bridgette Mitchell, Keturah Jackson and Krystal Thomas had 11 points each for Duke. Joy Cheek added 10.
J'Lisia Ogburn led Georgia Southern (1-1) with 11 points.
The Eagles took a 6-5 lead on Jamie Navarro's 3-pointer with 17:35 left in the first half before the pressing Blue Devils responded with a big run. Cheek scored all her points during the 14-0 spurt.
The Blue Devils led 35-17 at halftime and took their biggest lead, 58-26, on Jackson's follow with 12:30 remaining.
Duke outshot GSU 43.5 percent to 34 percent and outrebounded the Eagles 46-22.
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15
- Defense dominates as Louisville women whip No. 18 Duke 65-48 Jan 10