No. 13 Georgia beats No. 23 Georgia Tech 56-50Dec 6, 2009 - 9:57 PM ATHENS, Ga.(AP) -- Porsha Phillips scored 14 points, including two free throws with 5.6 seconds left, to lead No. 13 Georgia to a 56-50 victory over No. 23 Georgia Tech on Sunday.
Georgia (8-0) won despite shooting 38 percent from the free throw line. The Lady Dogs came in shooting 74 percent from the line, but made only 13 of 34 attempts.
Alex Montgomery led Georgia Tech (5-2) with 10 points but she missed two 3-point attempts in the last minute when Tech was trying to win in Athens for the first time ever.
Tech led by as many as 11 points in the first half and was up 48-43 when Deja Foster made a layup with 5:34 to go.
But freshman Jasmine James, handling the point guard duties after Ashley Houts fouled out with 9:31 to play, banked in a 3-pointer to ignite a game-closing 13-2 run.
James scored 10 points on 4-of-16 shooting.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
GEORGIA TECH (23) 50
GEORGIA (13) 56 FINAL
Dec 6 4:43 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
GEORGIA TECH (23) 28
GEORGIA (13) 25 HALFTIME
Dec 6 3:36 PM
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- Indiana-Georgia Preview Mar 18
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- DeShields bounces back, helps Lady Vols rip Georgia 80-60 Feb 28
- Georgia senior Barbee has surgery for season-ending injury Feb 23
- Georgia women knock off No. 22 Florida 74-63 Feb 21
- Mitchell scores 19, leads SEC champ No. 3 Gamecocks to win Feb 18
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11
- Balance helps Georgia women knock off No. 21 Missouri 65-50 Feb 4