Mitchell has 17 points in Georgia's 71-50Dec 9, 2009 - 2:29 AM ATHENS, Ga.(AP) -- Meredith Mitchell scored a career-high 17 points to help No. 13 Georgia overcome a sluggish start and beat Tennessee State 71-50 on Tuesday night.
Ashley Houts added 13 points and four assists while Anne Marie Armstrong had 10 points for Georgia (9-0).
Jasmine Smith scored a game-high 20 points and had a game-high 13 rebounds for Tennessee State (3-5). Oby Okafor also had 12 points.
Both teams played sloppily: Georgia committed 23 turnovers, Tennessee State 22. But Georgia out-shot Tennessee State from the field 50.9 percent to 28.3 percent.
Georgia turned the ball over six of its first eight possessions of the game and trailed 5-2 before going on a 16-0 run. Angel Robinson started the run with a layup and a pair of free throws. Jaleesa Rhoden and Candace Williams hit back-to-back 3-pointers to make it 19-8 lead with 9:52 left in the half.
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Buss scores 23, No. 9 seed Indiana defeats Georgia 62-58 Mar 20
- Indiana-Georgia Preview Mar 18
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- DeShields bounces back, helps Lady Vols rip Georgia 80-60 Feb 28
- Georgia senior Barbee has surgery for season-ending injury Feb 23
- Georgia women knock off No. 22 Florida 74-63 Feb 21
- Mitchell scores 19, leads SEC champ No. 3 Gamecocks to win Feb 18
- Balance helps Georgia women knock off No. 21 Missouri 65-50 Feb 4
- New coach Joni Taylor says Georgia must return to NCAAs Jan 29
- Barbee helps Georgia upset No. 10 Mississippi State 47-43 Jan 21
- Georgia women upend No. 20 Florida 71-61 Jan 14