Deluzio leads No. 10 Florida State over UTSADec 20, 2009 - 12:31 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Alexa Deluzio helped Florida State weather a rough first half to stay undefeated.
She came off the bench and scored 10 of her 12 points in the first half to lead the 10th-raniked Seminoles to a 65-50 victory over Texas-San Antonio in the first game of the Duel in the Desert tournament on Saturday.
Deluzio came in and made 4 of 5 shots, including a 3-pointer to start a 12-0 run that gave FSU the lead for good.
"Alexa Deluzio continues to come in and be a huge spark for us," Seminoles coach Sue Semrau said. "Not only did she score well, but she was so quick to the basketball. For her to come in and do that for us is important."
Florida State (10-0) outrebounded the Roadrunners 56-39. Angel Gray led Florida State with 10 rebounds and six assists while Chastity Clayton had nine.
Kelsey Ansley, playing in her first game for the Roadrunners after transferring from New Mexico last season, led Texas-San Antonio (4-4) with 11 points.
The Roadrunners got within six points when they made it 48-42 midway through the second half, but the Seminoles responded with a 17-8 run to end the game.
"I think that we didn't back down," Roadrunners coach Rae Rippetoe-Blair said. "I think the key for us was making free throws. When you miss that many from the free -throw line ... and I know we went 0 for 10 from the three-point line in the second half and that just killed us right there."
The Seminoles, too, had their struggles, shooting just 38 percent in the first half.
"I don't think we got nervous at all," Deluzio said. "We just had to come together as a team. Everybody contributes on our team, so we were fine; we were composed."
Texas-San Antonio missed 12 of 18 free throws in the second half.
The Seminoles will play DePaul on Sunday. The Blue Demons beat Arkansas 46-45.
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Middle Tennessee-Florida St. Preview Mar 18
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28