Golden scores 20 to lift Wis-Green Bay to 10-0Dec 20, 2009 - 3:55 AM GREEN BAY, Wis.(AP) -- Heather Golden helped her teammates make a little school history for a program with plenty of plaudits to its name.
She scored a career-high 20 points to lead No. 23 Wisconsin-Green Bay to the best start in program history with a 65-48 win over Marquette on Saturday night.
The Phoenix who have won the Horizon League regular-season title 11 years in a row and been to the NCAA tournament seven times in this decade, are 10-0 for the first time in school history.
"We've worked hard over the summer and our hard work is finally paying off," Golden said. "To see our work pay off like this, it's amazing."
They dominated from the outset, holding the Golden Eagles (7-4) to just two points over the final 11:32 of the first half and never letting Marquette get closer than 15 points in the second.
Marquette briefly threatened with a 12-0 run after the break.
"It just felt like they just weren't going to get good shots and I thought our players played extremely hard and they communicated well on the screens," Green Bay coach Matt Bollant said. "The big concern coming in was their ability to rebound the basketball and their ability to go get it and I thought we did a great job leaving the zone and just playing with great tenacity and great fire to keep them from getting easy offensive boards and putbacks."
The Golden Eagles were led by Angel Robinson's 16 points. Kayla Tetschlag scored 16 points for Green Bay and Julie Wojta added 13 points and 13 rebounds.
Green Bay had never started better than 9-0 in its 36-year history. The Phoenix improved to 29-7 against Marquette.
"For some reason, and I don't know why, we weren't defending and therefore we were taking some ill-advised shots and it just multiplied quickly," Marquette coach Terri Mitchell said. "Then you get yourself in a big hole. If I had to do things over I would do exactly what we did in the second half and press the entire game and stay up because that got us into a rhythm."
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WISC GREEN BAY (23) 65 FINAL
Dec 19 9:59 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WISC GREEN BAY (23) 38 HALFTIME
Dec 19 8:55 PM
- Lady Vols pull away in final 6 minutes to beat Green Bay Mar 18
- Wis.-Green Bay-Tennessee Preview Mar 17
- Green Bay women rout Milwaukee, coast to Horizon title Mar 13
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27
- Jenkins, No. 25 DePaul women beat Marquette 91-86 Dec 29
- No. 21 Arizona State defeats Marquette 90-80 Dec 20
- Hamblin helps No. 7 Oregon St to 65-58 win over Marquette Dec 3
- Princeton sprints past Green Bay Mar 21
- Marquette names Kieger women's hoops coach May 2
- Marquette's Mitchell won't return as women's hoops coach Apr 9
- Lady Tigers escape first-round scare Mar 24
- Notre Dame stays hot with rout of Marquette Feb 17