Williams leads Miami past No. 13 FSU 78-70Jan 10, 2010 - 8:38 PM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- Riquna Williams scored 27 points to lead Miami to a 78-70 victory over No. 13 Florida State in their Atlantic Coast Conference opener Sunday.
The Hurricanes (13-2) withstood a late Florida State rally for their first win over a top-15 team since beating No. 10 Purdue in Dec. 19, 1991. The win also snapped an eight-game losing streak against the Seminoles.
The Hurricanes went on a 14-2 run midway through the second half, taking a 55-41 lead on Shenise Johnson's basket with 10:17 left. Stefanie Yderstrom's 3 with 9:55 remaining gave Miami its biggest lead, 58-43.
But the Seminoles went on a 13-2 run and Angel Gray's two free throws with 4:20 remaining cut Miami's lead to 62-58 before the Hurricanes countered with eight unanswered points.
Alysha Harvin scored 16 points for Florida State (14-3).
Williams' steal and layup with 26.9 left tied it 30-30 at halftime.
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- No. 12 South Dakota State stuns fifth-seeded Miami 74-71 Mar 19
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Middle Tennessee-Florida St. Preview Mar 18
- S. Dakota St.-Miami Preview Mar 18