No. 24 Georgetown extends win streak to 13Jan 13, 2010 - 2:10 AM WASHINGTON(AP) -- Sugar Rodgers scored 26 points to lead No. 24 Georgetown to a 74-62 win over Providence on Tuesday night, the Hoyas' second game in school history as a ranked team.
Monica McNutt added 15 points for Georgetown, (14-2, 3-0 Big East) which won its 13th straight game to equal the school record set at the start of the 1979-1980 season. Latia Magee had 13 points for the Hoyas.
It was Georgetown's first contest holding a ranking since 1993, when Hoyas were No. 25 and lost to Providence 82-81.
Chelsea Marandola had 20 points for Providence (10-6, 1-2), making 7 of 11 from the field. Mi-Khida Hankins scored 12 points.
Georgetown led 45-25 with 18 1/2 minutes left, but a 20-4 run by the Friars cut the lead to four with 12 minutes left. The Hoyas responded with a 17-4 run of their own over the next seven minutes to take control.
Providence turned the ball over 21 times - 15 of them on Hoya steals - to Georgetown's 12. The Hoyas lead the nation in turnover margin.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
GEORGETOWN (24) 74 FINAL
Jan 12 9:01 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
GEORGETOWN (24) 39 HALFTIME
Jan 12 7:49 PM
- Providence hires St. Bonaventure's Crowley as women's coach May 10
- Villanova's Harry Perretta picks up 700th win Feb 21
- Podkowa leads No. 21 DePaul women past Providence 91-68 Feb 19
- No. 24 DePaul women roll to 96-50 win over Providence Jan 24
- Georgetown names Natasha Adair women's hoops coach Apr 14
- Diggins paces No. 2 Notre Dame past Providence Mar 2
- No. 3 UConn cruises past Providence Feb 12
- Diggins scores 2,000th point as No. 2 Notre Dame cruises Jan 26
- Fighting Irish fend off Hoyas Jan 15
- Faris, Stewart carry UConn over Georgetown Jan 9
- Lucas lifts Penn State to bounce-back win over Georgetown Dec 9
- Georgetown names Keith Brown women's hoops coach May 7