No. 16 West Virginia outlasts LouisvilleJan 31, 2010 - 2:48 AM MORGANTOWN, W.Va.(AP) -- Vanessa House and Sarah Miles scored 17 points apiece to help No. 16 West Virginia beat Louisville 72-66 on Saturday night.
House hit two crucial second half 3-pointers to keep the game out of the Cardinals reach as the Mountaineers (20-2, 7-1 Big East) matched the best start in school history. The 1991-92 team also was 20-2.
Miles matched her season high despite spending a good part of the first half and the start of the second half on the bench due to foul trouble.
Trailing by four at the break, West Virginia opened the half with a 15-4 run and was up seven before Louisville closed the gap to one.
After Liz Repella's layup, House hit a 3-pointer to extend the advantage back to six.
Monique Reid scored a career-high 29 points to lead Louisville (11-10, 3-5).
The Mountaineers came into the game giving up only 49.8 points per game, but Reid's presence underneath gave West Virginia trouble throughout the game.
West Virginia opened the game on a 16-5 run but that lead quickly vanished as Louisville continued to make close-range shots.
With Miles on the bench for the majority of the last 12 minutes of the first half, Louisville outscored West Virginia 32-17 to lead by four at halftime.
Becky Burke added 17 points for the Cardinals in the loss.
Repella scored 15 points for West Virginia, which ran its win streak at home to 16 games.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WEST VIRGINIA (16) 72 FINAL
Jan 30 9:11 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WEST VIRGINIA (16) 33 HALFTIME
Jan 30 8:01 PM
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Louisville tops Central Arkansas 87-60, Hines-Allen Mar 18
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Cent. Arkansas-Louisville Preview Mar 17
- NCAA games in Louisville match 4 teams on late-season rolls Mar 17
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- Louisville coach writes to fans' bosses about skipping work Mar 16