No. 14 Texas hangs on to beat Kansas in double OTFeb 13, 2010 - 10:05 PM LAWRENCE, Kan.(AP) -- Ashleigh Fontenette scored eight of her 20 points in the two overtime periods, including a clutch 3-pointer, to help No. 14 Texas beat Kansas 85-82 on Saturday.
After LaChelda Jacobs made 1 of 2 free throws with 10 seconds left in the first overtime, Fontenette hit a 3-pointer with 1.6 seconds left to tie the game at 77 and force a second extra period.
From there, Texas managed to build an early lead and held off a Kansas comeback. Jacobs' missed a possible game-tying 3-pointer as time expired.
Cokie Reed added 20 points for Texas (18-6, 7-3 Big 12) and Earnesia Williams and Kathleen Nash each chipped in 11, propelling the Longhorns to their fifth consecutive victory.
Carolyn Davis led Kansas (14-9, 4-6) with a career-high 29 points and Monica Engelman added 22.
Playing their third game without injured leading scorer Danielle McCray, the Jayhawks didn't show any negative effects from missing their best player. In the absence of McCray, Kansas has turned to freshmen Engelman and Davis.
And that duo carried the Jayhawks once again, combining for 51 of Kansas' 82 points.
The problem is that Kansas couldn't generate enough defensive stops down the stretch as Texas clung to a slim lead. The Jayhawks trailed the final 10 minutes of regulation before evening the score in the final seconds.
Fontenette missed the front end of a one-and-one with 34 seconds left, allowing the Jayhawks to trail by only one possession. On Kansas' next possession, Engelman buried an uncontested 3-pointer with 13.5 seconds left to tie the game.
Texas countered with two good looks in the final seconds - one by Fontenette and one by Williams - but both missed, sending the game to overtime.
Kansas held a six-point lead in the first overtime with 1:15 left, but Texas continued to cut into that deficit before Fontenette's 3-pointer sent the game into a second overtime.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS (14) 85
KANSAS 82 FINAL IN 2ND OT
Feb 13 4:43 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS (14) 39
KANSAS 34 HALFTIME
Feb 13 2:58 PM
- UConn heads to 9th straight Final Four after beating Texas Mar 28
- Texas-UConn Preview Mar 27
- Auriemma has no apologies for UConn's dominance Mar 27
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Atkins and Texas overpowers Missouri 73-55 to Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Missouri-Texas Preview Mar 20
- Muscular No. 10 Missouri's size a concern for No. 2 Texas Mar 20
- Big 3rd quarter sends Texas over Alabama State 86-42 Mar 20
- Alabama St.-Texas Preview Mar 18
- NM State women breeze by Rio Grande Valley for WAC title Mar 12