No. 24 Vermont defeats Stony Brook 67-45Jan 24, 2010 - 8:57 PM BURLINGTON, Vt.(AP) -- Courtnay Pilypaitis scored 21 points to lead No. 24 Vermont to a 67-45 victory over Stony Brook on Sunday.
May Kotsopoulos added 18 points and junior Tonya Young had 11 for the Catamounts (16-4, 6-1 America East), who broke into the most recent Top 25 poll after a 17-year absence.
Kirsten Jeter scored 15 points for the Seawolves (5-14, 3-4).
Pilypaitis, Vermont's career assists leader, helped the Catamounts pull away from the Stony Brook late in the first half.
Stony Brook was leading 16-15 before Pilypaitis scored Vermont's next nine points, including a 3-pointer from 28 feet as the shot clock ran out, to give the Catamounts a 24-20 lead.
Vermont took a 32-22 lead into the break and opened the second half with a 15-2 run.
- Peterson leads No. 20 Syracuse women past Stony Brook 64-49 Dec 6
- Stony Brook names McCombs head women's basketball coach Jun 5
- O'Boyle leaves Stony Brook for VCU Apr 28
- Vermont names McBride new women's basketball coach May 15
- Diggins scores 31, Notre Dame beats Vermont 84-66 Mar 23
- Vermont-Notre Dame Preview Mar 22
- Vermont wants more after 1st NCAA tournament win Mar 22
- Pilypaitis leads UVM to 64-55 win over Wisconsin Mar 21
- Vermont-Wisconsin Preview Mar 20
- Vermont upsets Hartford for America East title Mar 14
- No. 23 Hartford headed to America East title game Mar 7
- Stony Brook 43, Hartford 65 Mar 7