West Virginia holds on to defeat SyracuseJan 15, 2011 - 11:56 PM Morgantown, WV (Sports Network) - Madina Ali lead all scorers with 32 points and 10 rebounds as No. 6 West Virginia held on to defeat 25th-ranked Syracuse, 70-61.
Liz Repella chipped in with 12 points as the Mountaineers (17-1, 4-1 Big East) bounced back from their first loss of the season Tuesday against Marquette.
Elashier Hall provided 20 points for Syracuse (13-4, 1-3), which has lost two straight and three of its last four. Erica Morrow and Iasia Hemingway had 12 points apiece in the loss.
The game was close the entire way, including West Virginia's narrow 36-35 lead at the half.
West Virginia pulled away in the second half much to the help of four three- pointers, while Syracuse made just one of its four shots from beyond the arc in the half.
- SYRACUSE: 61
WEST VIRGINIA: 70
Jan 15 6:12 PM
- SYRACUSE: 35
WEST VIRGINIA: 36
Jan 15 4:59 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 15 4:09 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Syracuse women reach new heights under Coach Q Mar 31
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26