Strong second half powers Xavier past St. Joe'sMar 5, 2011 - 9:29 PM Lowell, MA (Sports Network) - Amber Harris scored 19 points and Tyeasha Moss added 14, leading sixth-ranked Xavier to a 71-55 victory over Saint Joseph's in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic-10 Tournament.
Ta'Shia Phillips contributed 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Musketeers (26-2), who outscored the Hawks by 18 in the second half after trailing 27-25 at the break. Special Jennings chipped in 11 points and seven assists in the victory.
The top-seeded Musketeers have won 16 straight since suffering their only two losses of the season in back-to-back games against Duke and Stanford in December. Xavier will next face Charlotte in Sunday's semifinals.
Katie Kuester scored 17 for Saint Joseph's (19-11), which beat La Salle in the first round on Friday.
The Hawks carried a two-point edge to the second half, but Xavier came out of the break with a 23-10 run to build a 48-37 cushion. St. Joe's got only as close as eight from there and trailed by as many as 22.
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 55
Mar 5 1:58 PM
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 27
Mar 5 12:49 PM
- ST. JOSEPH'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 5 12:13 PM
- No. 23 DePaul women beat Xavier 82-52 Feb 12
- No. 3 Notre Dame routs Saint Joseph's 91-55 Dec 21
- Huskies cruise past Hawks in second round Mar 25
- Hawks hang on against Georgia in tourney opener Mar 23
- Clarke leads Vanderbilt over St. Joseph's Mar 23
- Louisville advances to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- South Dakota State no match for Xavier Mar 20
- Phillips helps Xavier claim A-10 title Mar 7
- Xavier advances to A-10 title game Mar 6
- Harris helps Xavier edge Temple, clinch A-10 Feb 27
- No. 6 Xavier dominates George Washington Feb 23