Liston leads No. 7 Duke past Virginia in ACC openerJan 3, 2012 - 2:38 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Tricia Liston scored 18 points and pulled down seven rebounds as No. 7 Duke took down Virginia with a 77-66 victory in the ACC opener for both teams.
Haley Peters added 13 points, Richa Jackson had 12 and Chelsea Gray contributed 11 with eight assists for the Blue Devils (10-2, 1-0 ACC), who stretched their win streak to 23 games in Cameron Indoor Stadium against ACC opponents.
Ataira Franklin recorded game-highs of 19 points and 12 rebounds for Virginia (12-3, 0-1), but it was not enough to give Cavaliers head coach Joanne Boyle a victory in her return to Durham.
Boyle is a former player and assistant coach for the Blue Devils.
Duke held a slim, 35-32, advantage at halftime as Virginia matched the Blue Devils shot-for-shot in the first half, with Duke shooting 58.3 percent from the floor and Virginia connecting on 45.8 percent of its shots.
But in the second half Virginia was held to just 34.4 percent shooting and Duke pulled away with an early 10-2 run after Franklin's three-pointer brought the Cavaliers within 41-37.
Virginia never led in the contest and the score was tied just twice.
- VIRGINIA: 66
Jan 2 8:59 PM
- VIRGINIA: 32
Jan 2 7:55 PM
- VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 7:08 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- No. 11 Louisville women pull away from Virginia 74-59 Feb 18
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- Thomas leads No. 15 Florida State women past Virginia 70-48 Jan 21
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17