Hartley, Connecticut smother DukeJan 31, 2012 - 2:41 AM
Stefanie Dolson added 10 first-half points for Connecticut (20-2), which also received 12 rebounds from Kiah Stokes in the comfortable victory. The Huskies handled the paint (24-14) and bench scoring (10-0) in the win.
Chelsea Gray led Duke (17-3) with 13 points, seven rebounds and six assists, while Richa Jackson chipped in with 11 points and nine rebounds. Elizabeth Williams added 10 points, but her 3-of-15 shooting night was indicative of Duke's struggles. The Blue Devils made just 24.6 percent of their shots, including 7-of-35 in the second half.
The loss snapped Duke's 11-game winning streak and an even more impressive 34- game winning streak at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Connecticut got off to a great start in Durham, pushing in front 13-8 on Hartley's layup just over six minutes in. The edge grew to double figures at 25-15 on Tiffany Hayes' free throw. The Huskies put the stamp on a 12-2 stretch with Dolson's lay-in for a 31-17 game moments later. The Blue Devils scored the final six points, as UConn failed to add on during the stretch run.
Dolson scored 10 points on a perfect 4-of-4 shooting half, while Gray led Duke with 11 points and four rebounds.
The second half was more of the same, as UConn's defense disrupted Duke's motion sets, while Hartley took her turn to do some damage on the other end. The Blue Devils drew within five, but soon found themselves in a 13-point hole, 42-29, after Hartley's three-pointer just under the 13-minute mark.
Duke never got closer than 12 points the rest of the way.
- CONNECTICUT: 61
Jan 30 9:05 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 31
Jan 30 7:50 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 30 7:04 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4