Georgia Tech tackles Hoyas on way to Sweet 16Mar 21, 2012 - 1:50 AM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Sydney Wallace scored a game-high 23 points, leading four players in double figures, as Georgia Tech topped Georgetown, 76-64, in second-round action of the NCAA Tournament at Carmichael Arena.
Also scoring in double figures for the fourth-seeded Yellow Jackets (26-8) were Metra Walthour with 15 points, Sasha Goodlett 14 and Chelsea Regins 13 points on a perfect 6-of-6 shooting from the floor off the bench. Goodlett, who shot just 2-of-7 at the free-throw line, made up for it with a game-high 11 rebounds.
Seeded fifth in the Des Moines Region, the Hoyas (23-9) were paced by Sugar Rodgers with 14 points, although she made just 1-of-8 shots behind the three- point line and 4-of-19 from the floor overall in the setback. Tia Magee added 10 points in the losing cause as well.
Georgetown managed to move out to a five-point lead within the first three minutes of the opening half, but the squad then allowed Tech to make good on 55.2 percent from the floor in the period, the Yellow Jackets posting a 37-31 edge at the break.
In the second half the Hoyas didn't do themselves any favors with a miserable 28.1 percent from the field, including 3-of-9 behind the three-point line, leaving the squad with the double-digit setback.
Georgia Tech, which is now set to meet top-ranked and undefeated Baylor in the round of 16 this coming weekend, survived 17 turnovers by connecting on an even 50.0 percent from the floor on the night.
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- Villanova's Harry Perretta picks up 700th win Feb 21
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11
- Turner, Allen lead No. 3 Notre Dame past Georgia Tech Jan 28
- No. 19 Florida State women hold on against Georgia Tech Jan 10
- Cable leads No. 3 Notre Dame for McGraw's at 799th win Dec 30
- Georgetown names Natasha Adair women's hoops coach Apr 14
- Lady Tigers tackle Georgia Tech in tourney opener Mar 23
- Duke dispatches Georgia Tech to reach ACC semis Mar 7
- No. 8 Terps handle Yellow Jackets Feb 23
- Irish down Georgia Tech to stay unbeaten Feb 17