South Carolina snaps Kentucky's 17-game win streakJan 25, 2013 - 3:14 AM South Carolina's 55-50 victory over No. 5 Kentucky, ending the Wildcats' nation's longest winning streak at 17 games.
Aleighsa Welch registered 11 points and seven rebounds, while Elem Ibiam added eight points and eight rebounds for South Carolina (17-3, 5-2 SEC), which used an 18-4 run in the second half to take a 52-44 lead with 3:34 left.
It's the Gamecocks' first victory over a top-five team in 12 tries under fifth-year coach Dawn Staley.
Jennifer O'Neil led Kentucky (18-2, 6-1) with 17 points, while DeNesha Stallworth added 12 points and 10 rebounds
The contest was knotted at 19-19 heading into the break.
- KENTUCKY: 50
SOUTH CAROLINA: 55
Jan 24 9:12 PM
- KENTUCKY: 19
SOUTH CAROLINA: 19
Jan 24 7:53 PM
- KENTUCKY: 0
SOUTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 24 7:06 PM
- SEC women's basketball tourney returning to South Carolina May 16
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- South Carolina, Dawn Staley looking to learn from setback Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Staley: South Carolina reserve forward White to transfer Mar 31
- Gamecocks reserve G Kaydra Duckett leaving South Carolina Mar 30
- Staley wants South Carolina to remember NCAA Tournament loss Mar 28
- Syracuse women stun South Carolina 80-72 in regional semis Mar 25
- Washington women beat Kentucky 85-72 to reach regional final Mar 25
- Syracuse-South Carolina Preview Mar 24