No. 5 Duke holds off No. 19 Florida StateFeb 23, 2013 - 2:28 AM Duke to a 61-50 win over No. 19 Florida State on Friday.
Williams shot 7-of-17 from the field for the Blue Devils (25-1, 15-0 ACC), who have won nine straight games. Chloe Wells added 15 points off the bench.
Alexa Deluzio scored 16 points, while Natasha Howard registered 15 points and 11 rebounds for the Seminoles (20-6, 10-5), who came into the game off a win against North Carolina.
The first half was a close, low-scoring contest, as the two teams combined for 26 percent shooting and 25 turnovers.
At halftime, Duke had a 20-18 edge.
In the second half, Florida State took an early lead, as a jumper by Deluzio and a pair of layups by Howard gave them a 24-20 advantage.
However, Duke went on a 26-4 run over the next nine minutes and the Blue Devils never looked back. A 3-pointer by Wells and a three-point play by Richa Jackson capped the swing and Duke held a 46-28 lead with 8:49 remaining in regulation.
Duke stretched its lead to as many as 20 points, as a layup by Williams gave the Blue Devils a 52-32 lead with 6:40 left to play.
Florida State tried to come back, with Deluzio making a trey to spark an 11-0 surge. With 3:32 left, the Seminoles cut the deficit to nine, 52-43.
After a layup and a free throw by Williams, Leonor Rodriguez and Morgan Toles combined for five consecutive free throws to move the Seminoles within 55-48 with 1:40 remaining.
However, a free throw by Jackson and a pair of foul shots from Tricia Liston gave Duke a double-digit lead with just over a minute to go.
- FLORIDA STATE: 50
Feb 22 8:28 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 18
Feb 22 7:16 PM
- FLORIDA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 22 6:39 PM
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20